[PLUG] Redhat 9 install on Asus P4GE-V

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Thu Apr 10 21:56:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 20:12, Launi wrote:
> First off here is the error:
> CPU 0: machine check exception 0000000000000004
> Bank 0: A200000084010400
>
> My hardware in test mode is all new:
> Asus P4GE-V
> 2  512M DIM DDR PC2100
> Western Digital 80GB drive.
>
> I get this error when installing RH 8 (my download and burn), 9 ( a friends
> download and burn) and Mandrake 9 from home burned CDs.  I have tried text
> mode and still get the error.  The error consistently locks the computer
> when the install goes to format the drives or is writing the packages to the
> disk.
>
> At first I thought it was memory, so I exchanged it, no joy.  I yanked out
> all network cards and have only one hard drive. I removed my DVD-CDR and
> used a plain old CD, no joy. I have switch memory to different banks and
> tried one module, no joy.
>
> So I thought it was the main board and was about to exchange it when I got
> the idea to try my original WinNT disk.  Well to my surprise it installed.
> Well then I tried my DVD for Mandrake 8.1 Pro-Suite and it installed.
>
> My Mandrake 9 CDs installed flawlessly on my IBM A21p so I know I can
> download and make ISO CDs that work.  I also had my RH 8 installed on this
> box in a software RAID but I wanted to try RH 9 and change the RAID
> configuration so the RH 8 disks worked once, but now it fails.
>
> My questions:
>
> What does the error mean?

Sure looks like memory to me.  If the error is exactly the same after
you swapped memory sticks, maybe you have bad cache?  Have you run
MemTest86?

> Is are there incompatibilities in home burned ISO images that affect
> hardware?

Not that I've come across, and I cannot imagine a scenario that would.

> Suse says that their disto works on this MoBo, should I try that?
> Will commercial CDs of RH 9 work?

The commercial CD's will work about as well as the ones that you have
burned, there may be some _very_ old drives that the commercial pressing
will work on that the burned copies won't, but that is an all or nothing
deal, either it works, or it doesn't.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree