[PLUG] ntp isn't keeping the clock accurate

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Apr 11 12:51:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Paul> It's just a hack: the clock can sync with itself just in case
Paul> remote peers are unavailable. In /etc/ntp.conf, I declare the
Paul> local host to have a high (i.e., low-priority) stratum number:

Rich>   Oh. That makes good sense.

Uh, how?  What benefit is there in syncing with itself?  Surely clock
A and clock A are _already_ in sync.  I think this needs a little more
explanation.

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more