[PLUG] Sent Mail + Postfix

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Fri Apr 11 15:19:01 UTC 2003

> Ah, interesting!  I've actually never used IMAP, so I didn't know it
> worked that way.  This actually sounds like the solution I'm after
> (though I expect another configuration ordeal).  To have a single mail
> store on my server sounds ideal.

Very ideal. I didn't know there were people out there still using POP3.
Sure I suspected there *might* be, but I still can't fathom why.

> But Mr. Senior has reservations.  Can we get some more opinions on the
> POP3 vs. IMAP debate in this thread?  Can I run both at once with the
> same postfix install?  Is IMAP slower on the client than POP?  Is the
> date header thing really a problem?  I'm willing to install Cyrus if
> it's worthwhile.
>
> Thanks agin',
>
> --Jason Van Cleve

The MTA (postfix) has nothing to do with the MUA.  You can happily run a
pop3 and imap server together, provided they're set up correctly ;-)

IMAP tends to be faster on the client because the client doesn't need to
download all of the messages all at once.  In fact, I doubt if I've
*ever* downloaded the bodies of 75% of my PLUG mail, simply because the
subject didn't interest me.  IMAP is designed in such a way that the
typical IMAP client only downloads the message headers, waiting to fetch
the bodies until you're actually ready to read them.

Cyrus is certainly worthwhile, given that the other popular option is
from Washington University and therefore falls under the old axiom
"avoid software produced by UW or WU."
(And yes, pine does qualify as its authors have routinely ignored
security complaints, but I digress).

There are other IMAP options that may be more suited to your
environment, Cyrus works best on a dedicated mail server without user
accounts, while some of the others require user accounts be present.

Please, lets all make the world a better place and kill off POP3.

--
Shahms King <shahms at shahms.com>