[PLUG] A net admin question

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Sat Apr 12 16:22:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I'm sure that I've missed something very simple all these years, but
> since I just upgraded gnucash from 1.6.6 to 1.8.2 on two machines
> the question came up again: just how is such an application
> installed once and used across the network?

Rich,

Do you want to the application to execute and display on each
workstation, or is it within bounds for it just to display?

If the latter, then just use ssh, e.g.,

  [workstation]$ ssh -f serverhost soffice

Or, with less security

  [workstation]$ telnet serverhost
  [serverhost]$ export DISPLAY=workstation:0.0
  [serverhost]$ sofffice

If the former, then you either

* install the binaries, libs, and resources on each machine
* install the binaries, libs, and resources in a nfs directory

The situation is tough when you're dealing with just a couple hosts.
On a larger network, it's easier to justify the time needed to build a
package (deb, rpm, ...) of the app in question. On a two- or three-
node network, it's harder to justify the packaging time.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>