[PLUG] Renew IP address

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Sat Apr 12 19:57:01 UTC 2003

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2003, Robbert van Andel wrote:

>>Service network restart does not do it.  I understand there is another
>>command that does the same (equivalent to windows ipconfig /release
>>ipconfig /renew).

>   I've noticed that sometimes 'restart' doesn't work in Red Hat init scripts
> even though it is present. I've not used the 'service' command, but I have
> found that '/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop' followed by
> '/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start' usually clears the constipation and bits
> once again freely flow.

Can't imagine that "restart" does something different than "stop" "start"
The script /etc/rc.d/init.d/network case statement does the same thing

  	restart|reload)
         	cd $CWD
         	$0 stop
         	$0 start
         	;;

Unless a matter of microseconds makes a difference to the hardware--
not to rule out the metaphysical space that occupies a CPU's thoughts
bewteen 2 subsequent calls.

/sbin/service is a small shell script that does what you typed above with a
little sanity checking.

I take it the question is how to renew the dhcp lease.  Maybe `killall
dhcpcd -HUP`  (substitute the name of your dhcp client.)  When this starts
driving you insane, you can

# grep -r 192.168.0.0 /etc

To see where your old unwanted ip is hiding out. and start fumegating.

--
Kyle Accardi