[PLUG] fetchmail and pacifier

Michael Robinson michael at ns1.robinson-west.com
Wed Apr 16 00:46:02 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 12:35 am, you wrote:
> Kyle Accardi's Log: StarDate 0415.0822:

> > Only the shell login name changed, pop3 mail is the same as it ever was.
> > If you've got a virtual domain through them and get your mail another way
> > then I have no idea.
>
> And the domain name of the shell server: shell1.pacifier.net
>
> And the critical point: the IPs have changed yet again.
>
> So, maybe someone can fill me in on the security issue of advertising
> an IP address.
>
> -bk

I would think you have to advertise an ip address for a server.  This is what
a DNS record does, right?  Is the ip one is connecting from normally non
resolvable, "hiding" the ip, or, is this hiding something different?  I've
run into a lot of notices on the Internet that I need to stop advertising my
own ip for better security.  Seems like security through obscurity to me.
If you have an Internet ip you can be connected to even if you
are harder to find than a name that can be resolved by an Internet
nameserver.  Maybe the notice is about having open ports.

     --  Michael C. Robinson