[PLUG] Adding a Type 1 font to XFree/Gimp

Dylan Reinhardt plug at dylanreinhardt.com
Wed Apr 16 15:31:02 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I've got a Type 1 font I want to use in Gimp.

>From what I gather, Gimp simply uses whatever fonts X makes available,
and thus there should be no difference between "installing fonts in
Gimp" and "installing fonts in X".

Here's what I've tried (per various docs):

1. Put the file (_grg____.pfb) in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
2. Run type1inst to re-create the fonts.scale file.
3. Examine fonts.scale and note the addition of this entry:
_grg____.pfb -adobe-graphite mm-regular-r-normal--0=0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1

4. Run /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir to create fonts.dir
5. Examine fonts.dir, see same entry as in fonts.scale.
6. Restart X
7. Launch Gimp

Having done that, I attempt to use the font... Gimp has it listed, but
also says it is not available.  It won't, for example, show a preview.

I also tried the above, using mkfontscale in step #4.  Didn't help.

Gimp seems to be looking for some other file that is slightly different
from the font.scale entry.  It appears this one difference is due to the
point size requested.

I've looked at Type 1 fonts that *do* work and they seem to follow this
same pattern of looking for a slightly different file name than what's
in fonts.scale.  In all such cases, slocate is unable to come up with
files of those names.

Other details:
 - File permissions are 0444.
 - XF86Config *does* reference this directory
 - Also tried xfs to no avail
 - XFree86 4.3.0 r1 on Gentoo

Does anybody know what (probably obvious thing) I'm missing?

Thanks in advance

Dylan