[PLUG] NetWare & Linux?

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Wed Apr 16 16:13:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 18:40, Steven A. Adams wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 18:16, Michael Robinson wrote:
>
> > Mike Neal studied a lot of Netware but he said to just stick with Linux now.
> > I'd like at some point to either adapt the Netware protocol philosophy prior
> > to 5 and develop an open source protocol replacement for ip that works
> > under Linux and any other OS that wants it or get a different kind of Novell
> > training.
>
> NCP, the Netware core protocol of NW4< is in the 2.2.x > kernel.

No. It is support for the IPX protocol that is included in the Linux
kernel source tree - not NCP. You can configure a Linux box to route
IPX packets but without additional software, such as mars-nwe, Linux
cannot speak NCP.

Also, don't confuse the ability to mount NetWare volumes as support
for NCP.

Finally, NCP is still the native protocol for all versions of NetWare,
including all versions beyond NW4.
--
Ed Sawicki <ed at alcpress.com>
ALC