[PLUG] Re: [Eug-lug]Re: HB 2892 Proposed Ammendment :: "open" def'n

Ben Barrett barrett at counterclaim.com
Wed Apr 16 16:30:33 UTC 2003

...sorry to beat the very-tired horse now, but also see:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=open

for additional dictionary referral.  Thanks everyone for ironing this
flat!  = )

regards,

   Ben Barrett

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 10:27, Steven A. Adams wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 00:56, Russ Johnson wrote:
> > * Cooper Stevenson <cooper at cooper.stevenson.name> [2003-04-11 23:45]:
> > > What I am proposing is not a huge amendment. This "single word"
> > > amendment calls only for the standard to be published to qualify as
> > > "open."
> >
> > Playing devils advocate here, because I believe in what I perceive to be
> > happening with OSS.
> >
> > Be very careful with that word "open" and make sure it is defined
> > specifically.
> >
> > When I read this message, I looked at it, and the first thing that came
> > to mind was, "That's what you put on a resume, when your salary is open
> > for discussion."
> >
> > In other words, in certain contexts, someone, somewhere could take that
> > "open" to mean that it's not defined. That any format is acceptable.
> >
> > Now, it's entirely possible that I'm reading this wrong, and there's a
> > subtext that I'm missing. If that's the case, please disregard this.
> >
> > And thanks for listening.
>

> I encourage all to seek enlightenment from Webster. In this magical book
> you will find many definitions for the word "open", all of which are are
> arranged in order of precedence. In the case of the word "open", there
> are at least 3 definitions that directly relate to Open Source within
> the top 5 ( of the 13 listed definitions ). None of these definitions,
> when preceded by the word "Published", imply "not defined".
>
> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary
Ben Barrett                   Software & Systems Engineer
counterclaim               Sys Admin, Installation, Consulting
Phone: 541.484.9235
 Fax:  541.484.9193
 Cell: 541.543.1422