[PLUG] hiding email info

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Thu Apr 17 08:24:01 UTC 2003

> Just had a discussion with a coworker that was left unresolved due to
> lack of experience on our part.  Is it possible to hide email
> addresses on your web site by using a php or javascript script to
> buidl the address?  What if all email addresses come from a text file?
> Are those crawled too?  If your whole site is generated dynamically
> can it still be harvested?  Can google index it?

Generally anything not in the usual form of <name>@<domain> doesn't get
spammed.  As more people hide their E-mail addresses in alternate forms,
this is likely to change.

I'm a big fan of places like http://www.sneakemail.com or
http://www.spamgourmet.com that offer unique E-mail addresses that forward
back to your real address.  Each time I need to enter my E-mail
address (site registration, USENET post, etc.) I'll create a new
address.  This is extra nice since you can then find out which address
gets spammed and hence, who it was that leaked your E-mail address.  If
the abuse is bad enough, the address can be completely disabled.

Couple this with the latest SpamAssassin and you get a winning
combination.

  -- Steve