[PLUG] hiding email info

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Thu Apr 17 08:52:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Paul paul-at-lankow.net |PDX Linux| wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:23:54 -0700 (PDT)
> "Steve Bonds" <1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm a big fan of places like http://www.sneakemail.com or
> > http://www.spamgourmet.com that offer unique E-mail addresses that
> > forward back to your real address.
>
> I got so tired of junk SNAIL mail that every time I subscribed to a
> magazine, I would spell my name slightly differently. Then I would
> know who sold my name. :-) This sounds like the same idea.

Yep.  Exactly the same idea.

I'll add bogus "apartment" numbers to my address for the same purpose.
By far, most of my junk mail comes from my USPS change-of-address form.

I try to keep my name the same since I read about a court case where
someone was suing a junk mailer for misusing his identity by sending him
junk.  He knew who it was since they had a typo in his name.
Unfortunately the court ruled that since the name with the typo was wrong,
the identity they were using was not his and hence, he had no case.

I wish I could find a link to the story, but Google seems to have failed
me.

  -- Steve