[PLUG] "headers" & "footers" on Web pages

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Thu Apr 17 09:33:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I have the same image & title and contact information on each of my
> 11 Web pages. I would like to put the code for one in a "header"
> file and the other in a "footer" file and do the equivalent of
> #include <...> on each page. That makes updating much easier.

Rich,

The answer is highly dependent on what web server software is running
on the machine that hosts your site.

In Apache land, server-side includes are the easiest approach:

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ssi.html#includingastandardfooter

Most webmasters allow user-supported pages to use SSI, but you'll need
to check it out with your admins.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>