[PLUG] Multiple gateway scenario...

Michael Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Sat Apr 19 10:44:01 UTC 2003

I've looked at documentation on RIP which seems to be what I need.  However,
the example in an OSU networking text uses private addressing on the
redundant gateways dropping to one Internet gateway.  What I need is
something that will work where the redundant gateways both have a direct
Internet connection.  They are both dual nic machines.  With RIP there is
evidently a broadcasting issue.  You don't want to broadcast onto
your service providers network.  If I understand correctly, the gateways and
other routers broadcast their routes which the workstations and terminals
receive via a listening daemon.  The idea as I see it is to listen for the
routes and update routing entries dynamically.  Can I controlling the
broadcasting with iptables?

    --  Michael C. Robinson

    Happy Easter everyone.