[PLUG] Blacklisted, what does it mean to be open relay...

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Sat Apr 19 17:07:02 UTC 2003

On Saturday 19 April 2003 4:22 pm, Michael Robinson wrote:
> Well I've been blacklisted by a german relay between my mail server
> and one my sister wants to reach.  What does it mean to be an open relay
> and how can I fix it?  This hasn't been a problem before, I've renumbered
> and I've added a second mail exchanger ( actually it's just a second mail
> gateway to the same mail server as the other one ).  The changes have now
> taken affect from the changeover in numbers.  Maybe the blacklisting
> happened in that period when the changeover was occuring.
>
> my email is michael at robinson-west.com and it the ip of one of my gateways,
> 209.210.202.171, that's blacklisted.
>
>      --  Michael C. Robinson

That's a really weird deal, they must be super-aggressive. How do you know
you're being blocked? What kind of information do they give you? Do they have
a FAQ? How does this prevent your sister from doing whatever?

Start at http://relays.osirusoft.com/ for more information on testing open
relays, and finding out who is blocking you. But the best thing is
information specific to whoever is blocking you. I didn't find your IP listed
anywhere.

--
Carla Schroder