[PLUG] Switching from Linux ?

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Tue Apr 22 19:26:01 UTC 2003

I run a single CPU system using OpenBSD as a stateful firewall for my
home network. I've got dual NICS with one NIC connect to my cable modem
and the other NIC runs into an 8 port switch. The default install is
very secure with SSH being the only means to login into the box.

I'm using Linux for my primary  workstation and other severs within my
network. I don't need an SMP box for a firewall so using one of the
freely available BSD OS's can be a reasonable choice. I've found
OpenBSD's packet-filter "pf" rules much easier to understand and write
than the sometimes clunky "iptables" or "ipchains" commands that Linux
uses. I say this after running a Linux-based firewall for 4 1/2 years
on my home network.

Something else to keep in mind is that what do you do if you ever need
to run any sort of commercial applications under BSD? I haven't looked
into it but I've had the need to run Oracle and BEA's WebLogic and
since I was using Linux this wasn't an issue. I don't know if any of
the BSDs can run these things. They might but I've never looked into
the binary compatibilities or emulations that might be available under
BSD.

For a dedicated file or print servers a BSD box with Samba works quite
nicely in an office environment. I've got my old firewall test system
with OpenBSD on it pulling print server duty at work now.

Tony