[PLUG] Apache questions.

Michael Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Tue Apr 22 23:51:01 UTC 2003

SSL_BASE=SYSTEM \
EAPI_MM=SYSTEM \
OPTIM="-O3 -march=i686 -mcpu=i686 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer" \
./configure \
--prefix=/home/httpd \
--bindir=/usr/bin \
--sbindir=/usr/sbin \
--libexecdir=/usr/lib/apache \
--includedir=/usr/include/apache \
--sysconfdir=/etc/httpd/conf \
--localstatedir=/var \
--runtimedir=/var/run \
--logfiledir=/var/log/httpd \
--datadir=/home/httpd \
--proxycachedir=/var/cache/httpd \
--mandir=/usr/share/man \
--enable-module=ssl \
--activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
--enable-module=perl \
--disable-module=userdir \
--disable-module=negotiation \
--disable-module=autoindex \
--disable-module=imap \
--add-module=src/modules/standard/mod_auth_db.c \
--server-uid=www \
--server-gid=www

This is what I came up with for right before I compiled apache_1.3.27.  The
instructions I was looking at were for apache_1.3.20 and had additional lines
to the ones above which I can't seem to duplicate:

     CFLAGS="-DDYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=0 " ? turns off module support ?
     --disable-module=status                                  ? valid anymore?
     --enable-rule=SSL_SDBM                               What was this for?
     --disable-rule=SSL_COMPAT                        I think this is enabled.

For mod_perl I used mod_perl-1.27 and for mod_ssl I used
mod_ssl-2.8.14-1.3.27.  The instructions I've been looking at
are in Securing and Optimizing Redhat Linux Ultimate Edition.
One thing I forgot to do in httpd.h under the apache source tree
is increase the server max from 256 to 1024.  Would I have to
start over fresh to fix that mistake or can I change the header
file and just run make again?  Apache's compilation and
installation would be a lot easier if someone would create a
series of menuconfig like, I'm thinking the kernel, scripts for it.
It's so much easier to see all the options and tag the ones
you want with a tool like the latter.

     --  Michael C. Robinson