[PLUG] Apache questions.

Steven A. Adams stevea at nwtechops.com
Wed Apr 23 05:48:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 23:46, Michael Robinson wrote:
> SSL_BASE=SYSTEM \
> EAPI_MM=SYSTEM \
> OPTIM="-O3 -march=i686 -mcpu=i686 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer" \
> ./configure \
> --prefix=/home/httpd \
> --bindir=/usr/bin \
> --sbindir=/usr/sbin \
> --libexecdir=/usr/lib/apache \
> --includedir=/usr/include/apache \
> --sysconfdir=/etc/httpd/conf \
> --localstatedir=/var \
> --runtimedir=/var/run \
> --logfiledir=/var/log/httpd \
> --datadir=/home/httpd \
> --proxycachedir=/var/cache/httpd \
> --mandir=/usr/share/man \
> --enable-module=ssl \
> --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
> --enable-module=perl \
> --disable-module=userdir \
> --disable-module=negotiation \
> --disable-module=autoindex \
> --disable-module=imap \
> --add-module=src/modules/standard/mod_auth_db.c \
> --server-uid=www \
> --server-gid=www
>
> This is what I came up with for right before I compiled apache_1.3.27.  The
> instructions I was looking at were for apache_1.3.20 and had additional lines
> to the ones above which I can't seem to duplicate:
>
>      CFLAGS="-DDYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=0 " ? turns off module support ?
>      --disable-module=status                                  ? valid anymore?
>      --enable-rule=SSL_SDBM                               What was this for?
>      --disable-rule=SSL_COMPAT                        I think this is enabled.
>
> For mod_perl I used mod_perl-1.27 and for mod_ssl I used
> mod_ssl-2.8.14-1.3.27.  The instructions I've been looking at
> are in Securing and Optimizing Redhat Linux Ultimate Edition.
> One thing I forgot to do in httpd.h under the apache source tree
> is increase the server max from 256 to 1024.  Would I have to
> start over fresh to fix that mistake or can I change the header
> file and just run make again?  Apache's compilation and
> installation would be a lot easier if someone would create a
> series of menuconfig like, I'm thinking the kernel, scripts for it.
> It's so much easier to see all the options and tag the ones
> you want with a tool like the latter.
>
>      --  Michael C. Robinson

All of the directory paths that you mention here can be put into
Apache's config-layout file at the root of the source tree. I find that
adding these here and using --with-layout instead a much easier way to
remember settings and it's nice to minimize the chance for fat-fingering
the configure script.

It's been a long time since I did a mod_perl in DSO, I build it in
statically when I use it, is there a need to do an --add-module option
for libperl.a still or did that go away?

The --server-uid, gid and max can all be set/reset in httpd.conf if you
don't care to add it to the configuration at compile time.

Steven A. Adams <stevea at nwtechops.com>