[PLUG] Switching from Linux ?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Apr 23 15:48:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Stephen Young wrote:

> Thank you all for your replies.  I am reading the handbook atm on
> freebsd.org.  I plan on setting up a small router (firewall) / web / samba
> server on my home lan.

  A couple of thoughts for your consideration. First, for your firewall
consider OpenBSD. From everything I've read -- including Mick Bauer's new
book, "Building Secure Servers with Linux" -- that's the most secure *BSD
out.

  Second, read the above book before putting your servers on the firewall
box. Instead, make your firewall box triple-headed (i.e., three NICs) and
put your public servers on a separate box, on its own NIC, and separated
that way from the rest of your lan.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)