[PLUG] Switching from Linux ?

Michael Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Wed Apr 23 16:58:02 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 04:28 pm, you wrote:
> Thanks Rich, payday I think I will invest in that book, the reviews on
> amazon seem to be in favor of it.  Never thought of having three nics in
> the firewall server.  Is the idea to have the public servers on their own
> boxes plugged into the firewall directly, and have the other nic plugged
> into a switch for the lan, and have teh third plugged into my cable ?
>
> Sounds very logical, never really thought about that before.  How similar
> is open bsd compared to freebsd ?  Are they like slackware compared to
> redhat, or are the kernels developed by separate groups unlike the linux
> kernel ?
>
> Thanks agian for the help Rich
>
> Stephen Young

I'm not a big fan of going to BSD myself.  I think in part that there's a
notion that BSD is a full source tree for all your utilities, OS, etc. and
that this is therefore better.  I think it very likely that much of the
software will be the same and I wonder what the factions are going to
be like.  Also, what licenses does one get into with BSD?  I'd rather
have a finished widely accepted standard for what a Linux system has,
vendor neutral, to study from and another set of documents on where
Redhat strays as well as good Redhat alternatives for say graphical
programming under X.  Gentoo seems worth looking into.  Forcing
compiles from source solves a lot of problems installing programs,
however, how many problems are caused by optimizations that turn
out to be more trouble than they are worth or hardware designs that
are proven foolish.  Compilation is an interesting tool and using program
design to implement optimizations in a more portable manner is a
good tools also.  It takes time to compile a whole entire system where
just because you can compile it doesn't mean your pre compilation
decisions are going to be wise for your needs or easy to make.
GNU is building a standard environment for what a person should see
in a source package, how about BSD?  Linux is Posix compliant,
is BSD?  Linux is also clustering ready, I don't know about BSD.
The other thing with BSD is that developement could be stymied
compared to Linux.

     --  Michael C. Robinson