[PLUG] Minimal firewall hardware

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 25 06:55:02 UTC 2003

  I want to replace my old floppyfw box with one containing a hard drive and
running OpenBSD. I suppose that I could take out the existing motherboard
and CPU (the latter is, I think, a 200MHz Pentium) with a mixed bag of SIMMS
I had in my parts box (64M RAM in all). The 2M vRAM video board is also
adequate for a box that sits headless until time for a reboot. The only
thing I _don't_ like about this is that I need to plug in both keyboard and
monitor to reboot it (a BIOS thing).

  Using these parts also leaves me naked while the new box is built and
tested. I'm not comfortable about that.

  What would be a reasonable minimum hardware setup (specifically, what size
hard drive) for a firewall box running OpenBSD for a SOHO network?

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)