[PLUG] Minimal firewall hardware

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 25 08:46:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I don't have any past experience with OpenBSD, but I understand that the
> packet-filtering stuff has undergone some fairly significant changes of
> late. If the book doesn't specifically deal with the version of OpenBSD
> you install, you'll definitely want to double check the pf.conf(5) man
> page before implementing any ruleset suggested in the book.

  Yes, sir! :-)

  The book is listed on the OpenBSD Web site as a good resource. But, many
tech books are obsolete by the time they're published. The only thing I know
for sure is that the rule system is supposed to be much easier to understand
deeply than are netfilter and iptables. Shrug. As long as I can get it to
work properly ....

  Right now, however, I have to figure out why, when I connect my
Slackware-9.0 notebook to the network I can ping the other hosts but cannot
mount an exported filesystem, scp from it, sftp from it or anything else.
Hmmm-m-m. Back to the TCP/IP Administration book.

  Besides, I hafta' get back to income-producing work.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)