[PLUG] Morning MS Humor

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Fri Apr 25 10:38:01 UTC 2003

Interesting: the "front door" for IIS 6.0 is a kernel driver:

  The new kernel mode driver, HTTP.SYS, is a single point of contact
  for all incoming (server-side) HTTP requests. This provides high
  performance connectivity for HTTP server applications. The driver
  sits atop TCP/IP and receives all connection requests from the
  IP/port combinations it is configured to listen on. HTTP.SYS is also
  responsible for overall connection management, bandwidth throttling,
  and Web server logging.

I can see where there could be some big performance benefits, ala the
Linux khttpd, but I'm just not the sort of admin that likes to think
that crashing the web server can mean bringing down the kernel.

I don't know enough about the Windows kernel's privilege levels to
know if that's really dangerous, but it certainly sounds scary to me.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>