[PLUG] Relaying.

Michael Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Fri Apr 25 15:34:24 UTC 2003

I have my qmail server though the only way I can send mail through it now is
to network boot myself up as an X terminal.  If I want a Linux workstation to
be able to send mail out I need a relay?  Is the idea that mail server A sends
to B which relays to C?  Do you merely have the to and from in the headers
of your message being sent out or does some kind of header rewriting happen
or how does this work?  Do multiple addresses get inserted into a header as
it passes through relays which would represent the intermediate destinations?
Should I think envelopes like tcp/ip where perhaps headers and the message
are encapsulated inside another set of headers, etc.?

     --  Michael