[PLUG] Re: HB 2892 Update

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Apr 28 22:15:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Geoff Burling wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, David Mandel wrote:
>>
>> Ken,
>>
>>     I'm a bit frustrated at the moment.
>>
>>     Several organizations like the AEA have been claiming to represent
>> thousands of companies who oppose this bill; whereas in fact only a few
>> of the members (if they actually exist) strongly oppose this bill and
>> some of the members may even support this bill.  As a result, I have
>> tryed to throw PLUG's support behind the bill.  True, this is a bit
>> strange.  PLUG doesn't generally take political stands, and PLUG hasn't
>> taken a vote to see where members (who ever that is) stand; but this
>> is an issue of interest to the Open Source community and there seems
>> to be general support on the mailing lists and in my discussions with
>> PLUG members for this bill.
>>
>Unfortunately, the problem with PLUG supporting this legislation -- or
>any legislation -- is that it could endanger our standing as a non-profit
>organization. IANAL, but as I understand it, non-profit organizations
>trade their right to express political opinions in return for exemption
>from taxation. That was the problem that Bill Sizemore encountered --
>well, that & being a sleezeball.
>
>And to say that we can get around this because PLUG is not a formal
>non-profit, then it renders PLUG about as convincing a body as any
>imaginary group -- say, the Left-handed Bilingual Protologists Who
>Worship marsha Brady as Their Goddess.
>
>I have put a notice on our website concerning this house bill, but tried
>to put it in a very neutral manner so that there is no suggestion of
>PLUG expressing a partisan stance about it. Because as sure as the sun
>will rise tomorrow, I know someone at Microsoft will learn about it, & use
>that fact against us in pursuit of their goal of ``MS Windows everywhere,
>& everyone rendering something to Microsoft."
>
>If I'm being too timid about this, I'm willing to listen to persuasion.
>I want this bill to pass -- but not at the cost of a greater Microsoft
>victory.
>
>Geoff

I personally think you are on the right track Geoff.

Governments are designed to move slow. This is generally a good thing.
Slow moving governments are (theoretically) resistant to the
"public-whim-of-the-day". A short-term-blast of public opinion may
create a sudden, slight shift - but the next "whim" is just as likely
to cause a slight shift in the opposite direction.

If you want long-term, lasting results it requires gentle, constant pressure.

If you guys are in this for the long-haul, take your time and learn who the
players are, what influences them, what their biases are, what their vices
are, where they are strong and where they are weak.

I have had a couple "15 minutes of fame" when dealing with public agencies.
It took several years worth of gentle, constant pressure for every 15 minutes
of progress. It's the nature of the game.

Think chess, not hockey.

For those of you who are feeling frustrated by the slow progress, keep
in mind the cover of the Guide: "Don't Panic".

-Eric