[PLUG] Getting ssh working again

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Apr 30 13:41:02 UTC 2003

* Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> [2003-04-30 11:48]:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Russ Johnson wrote:
>
> > Actually, that's apples and oranges. DHCP will assign an IP. /etc/hosts
> > is for looking up other hosts.
>
>   Oh. I thought the /etc/hosts file assigned an IP address to each host on
> the system.

>From a certain perspective, I suppose that's close, but it doesn't
"assign". It allows lookup from the local machine.

If you run ping salmo on both the laptop and this machine, what are the
results?

What's actually in /etc/hosts, and what is the "hosts" line in
/etc/nsswitch.conf?

> > Sounds to me like a combination of errors in /etc/resolv.conf and
> > /etc/nsswitch.conf.
> >
> > I'd compare those files on the working box with the same files on the
> > non-working box.
>
>   /etc/resolv.conf is the same because I copied it from the RH workstation
> to the slack notebook. I just tweaked the workstation's /etc/nsswitch.conf
> to match that of the notebook. Same results when trying to 'ssh salmo'.

So, if memory serves, the results you are getting is it resolves to the
external IP, correct?

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #6 (Collect all 18)
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is still my own." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe