[PLUG] DNS Problems

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at comcast.net
Sat Aug 2 12:42:02 UTC 2003

I have a caching only setup of Bind9 behind my firewall that my local
client machines all use and I've seen some "ServFail" messages trying
to be sent back from Comcast's DNS servers. I've not done any research
on it as it doesn't affect my performance and it was only when I was
looking at my firewall logs that I even noticed the errors.

The number of port probes I'm seeing on port 445 and 135 has really
picked up in the last day or so and so perhaps that's slowing things
down with the increase in network traffic related to that reported
Windows RPC vulnerability I saw reported. Ports 137-139 are filtered on
Comcast so I don't know if there's a big increase in port probing on
those ports going on.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer