[PLUG] Slightly OT: PCC software engineering program

Russell Evans russell-evans at uswest.net
Mon Aug 4 07:50:02 UTC 2003

I sent a number of resumes via monster, hotdog, hotjobs, dice,... All the call
backs I got, and finally a job, where from applying directly. I think monster,
and others like them, are being mostly used for EOE postings since most
"request" you supply EOE information when submitting a resume..

A large number of the postings were local candidates only, no relocation, don't
care if you'll pick up the tab to move yourself. The most insane were the
people wanting a CCIE for a $40,000 a year posting. The job requirements and
discriptions are very inflated, and the worst are usually head hunters looking
to fill an entry level position. Some even seem to have to be tailored to some
individual inside the company because of the specific knowledge wanted.

Unless you're looking, you probably won't notice how the postings are worded to
keep people from applying instead of trying to attract candates. This is
probably because most postings still collect more resumes than they want. After
a while I posted my resume to all, no matter what they wanted, or how crazy.
You got to do what you got to do to survive.

Good luck to all that are looking,
Russell