Touchpads and USB Mice - was [PLUG] how to re-install GRUb

Jeff Schwaber jschwaber at wesleyan.edu
Mon Aug 4 12:27:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 18:47, Daggett, Steve wrote:
> Jeff teased:
> >
> > (discovery of the day: it's trivial to get an external USB
> > mouse to work
> > with a laptop while keeping the touchpad working at the same time. ask
> > me how if you're interested).
> >
>   How?
>
>   I've noticed that my touchpad stopped working after I switched to a USB
> mouse.  I hadn't bothered looking into the issue... but if you've already
> got it figured out.  Enquiring minds would like to know...
>
> Steve D...
                                                                                The XF86Config-4 file (for me, on Debian, in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4) can have only one CorePointer, which for me is my standard psaux touchpad/trackpoint (mine has both under one device). However, it can have as many other mice as you want by using the Option SendCoreEvents flag. You could probably add a usb hub and a dozen mice and get them all to work at once, then have BattleMouse between friends! =) (haven't tried)

here's the relevant section

Jeff

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndSection