[PLUG] cisco 678 DSL latency issues

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Tue Aug 5 11:12:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 21:58, Rogan Creswick wrote:
> I've recently subscribed to DSL (changing from comcast) and everything
> works great, but only in Windows.
>
> I'm running bridged with a cisco 678, 640/256, static ip.  If the
> cisco is plugged into a windows box everything works great, ping times
> are arround 90ms.  However, booting into Linux causes ping times to
> jump to 2000ms, connectivity and bandwith are fine, but latency is
> horrid (I can download a kernel at 40k/s or better, but it takes
> 2000ms for the xfer to start).

I have a Cisco 678 running in bridged mode, and I do not have a 2 second
latency.  Have you installed the latest firmware on the 678?  Are you
giving the connection enough time to straighten out the ARP tables
(anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes)?  Have you tried to power down, wait 2
minutes, power up (this should reset the connection at the other end)?
BTW, download rates should peak at about 68k/s.

> I've tried three computers and two phone jacks, two of the computers
> dual boot (the third is my router, and runs only linux--everything is
> Debian).  In all situations Windows works fine (90 ms ping) and Linux
> does awefully (2000ms).

Are you saying that each ping packet takes 2 sec. to return, or just the
first packet?  Does tcptraceroute show where the slow down is?

> Searching cisco's site mentioned that Linux boxen may have difficulty
> connecting to cisco hardware without term/termcap, however installing
> termcap-compat on my laptop (one of the dual-boot boxes) has had no
> effect (possibly a _small_ change, 1800ms is probably the average).

This seems like more of an ISP problem than a Cisco problem.  In
bridging mode, the Cisco should let anything and everything pass right
through.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree