[PLUG] Slightly OT: PCC software engineering program

Brian Beattie beattie at beattie-home.net
Tue Aug 5 11:52:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 06:03, Jason Van Cleve wrote:
> Mr. Coffman,
>
> I got the impression that the CS program there wasn't very strong.  The
> CSET course I took, though, was not easily "slid" through.  After the
> first couple of terms, some 70% of my class had dropped out, which was
> common.  There were some dull and underqualified instructors, but Prof.
> Hanna laid out the material in such a way that we learned some good OO
> development theory before getting too wrapped up in code.  I considered
> that a blessing as I progressed in my career.  It may surprise you how
> many "coders" don't understand design, or don't design at all.

Who or what industry uses "coders" who can't design?  or maybe I don't
know what a coder is.  In my 25 years of programming I don't think I've
ever done any work that did not require some design.  Though I've been
in the embedded systems/systems programming area.

I'm registered for PSU this fall, after more than a year out of work,
I'm gonna finish my degree 30 years after I started. going for a BSCE,
if I don't get an offer before classes start.

--
Brian Beattie            | Experienced kernel hacker/embedded systems
beattie at beattie-home.net | programmer, direct or contract, short or

"Honor isn't about making the right choices.
It's about dealing with the consequences." -- Midori Koto