[PLUG] ET (Extremely Tentative): Job possibility

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Tue Aug 5 13:51:02 UTC 2003

> Reply-To munging is dumb and broken!!!
>
> Can we fix this?  We're all intelligent people that know how to configure
> our mail clients to reply where we want it to reply, but I'll be damned if
> I'm going to break APPROPRIATE use of the Reply-To header for this list.
>
> J.

Ahh, yes, this old flamewar again ;-)
In all seriousness, I'd think mailman would be smart enough (or
configurable enough) to not set the Reply-To header on mails to the list
with that header already set (i.e. mails that people went out of their
way to ensure were not replied-to on list).  Perhaps enough people with
MUA's that don't have a "Reply To List" option also set Reply-To on all
of their outgoing mails?

In lieu of turning of munging completely, I'd think there would be a
happy medium where the actual, intended, semantics of the Reply-To
header could be respected if present, rather than trampling all over the
email all the time.
--
Shahms King <shahms at shahms.com>