[PLUG] Slightly OT: PCC software engineering program

Brian Beattie beattie at beattie-home.net
Wed Aug 6 12:06:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 04:47, Jeff Schwaber wrote:

> Ah, but Software Engineering _would be_ the domain of Computer Science,
> if it were empirical and could therefore be studied theoretically (and
> therefore tested empirically).
>
> In fact, many CS programs have attempted to do this. The fact that they
> haven't succeeded says something.

I'm not so sure, I suspect the natural antipathy of "Scientists" for
"Engineers" I don't know how many schools still put CS under the Math
Dept. but I would suspect that these schools CS faculty would have a
real problem with "Software Engineering".  I am of the firm opinion that
the notion that programming is closely related to math has done more to
slow the advance of software engineering than any thing else.

--
Brian Beattie            | Experienced kernel hacker/embedded systems
beattie at beattie-home.net | programmer, direct or contract, short or

"Honor isn't about making the right choices.
It's about dealing with the consequences." -- Midori Koto