[PLUG] /tmp

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Aug 8 22:12:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Sean Whitney wrote:
> Please be aware that this is changing across different distributions.
>
> RedHat now doesn't remove everything on reboot.  It does have some sort
> of cronjob that cleans some stuff up.  However after a reboot the files
> are still there.

That seems frightening.  Seems that this could develop some kind of
"expected behavior" and create a bunch of, say, Red Hat specific packages
written by developers that don't know any better.

Of course, I'd say the RIGHT thing to do is use tmpfs or somesuch
memory-based filesystem for /tmp.  That way you don't need cron jobs or
boot scripts and it's quick quick quick.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net