[PLUG] cisco 678 DSL latency issuesy

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Fri Aug 8 23:34:02 UTC 2003

Here are some topologies I've tried, #1 is the ideal, that's what I
want, the #'s marked with *'s (3 and 5) are the only topologies that
work correctly.

 1) [Internet]----[cisco678]--[linuxrouter]--[switch]-+-laptop
                                                      +-workstation

 2) [Internet]----[cisco678]--[hub]--[linuxrouter]---[switch]....

*3) [Internet]----[cisco678]--[laptop(windows)]

 4) [Internet]----[cisco678]--[laptop(linux)]

*5) [Internet]----[cisco678]-[hub]--[laptop(windows)]

 6) [Internet]----[cisco678]-[hub]--[laptop(linux)]

"Laptop" is synonomous for workstation. Both machines dual-boot and
both behave the same in the above networks.

It's disturbing how reliable this delay is, I've been pasting my
emails into mutt so I can compose them locally. Everytime, the entire
buffer is pasted exactly 2 seconds after I issue the command.

Thanks,
Rogan