[PLUG] Switch-to-switch patch cable

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Sun Aug 10 21:17:02 UTC 2003

* Paul Johnson <baloo at ursine.ca> [2003-08-10 18:11]:

> On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 07:02:51PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> >   Since noting was said about the linking cable, I presume it's standard and
> > not a cross-over cable.
>
> I believe it should be a crossover cable.

If you are going from like port, to like port, yes, it should be a
cross-over. If you are going from dis-similar ports, then it should be a
straight through cable.

Uplink hub port <----- straight through -----> standard hub port
Uplink hub port <--------- crossover --------> Uplink hub port
standard hub port <------- crossover --------> standard hub port
computer <--------- straight through --------> standard hub port
computer <---------------- crossover --------> computer

I suppose this too would work, but I've never heard of anyone doing it:

computer <---------------- crossover --------> Uplink hub port

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #4 (Collect all 19)
"Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful." - Annette Funicello