[PLUG] Wget and Cookies

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Mon Aug 11 10:57:02 UTC 2003

On 10 Aug 2003, Jeff Schwaber freyley-at-gmx.net |PDX Linux| wrote:

> But when I use wget to get the page, I get, instead of the page that I
> want, a page called needsCookies.jsp, which tells me that their page
> requires cookies.
>
> I checked wget's man page, and it confirmed what I believed (wget
> defaults to accepting cookies), but I manually turned them on anyway,
> and eventually added my galeon cookies file as wget's loaded cookies.

I would use tcpdump or ethereal to capture the packets from a Galeon
session and identify any unusual behavior.  Then do the same packet
capture for your wget session and compare the two.  There may be a header
that the site expects to see or something specific to wget that isn't
working like a normal browser.  (Sites expecting a User-Agent of "Mozilla"
and sites using a blanket robots.txt exclusion are two common problems
I've seen.)

  -- Steve