[PLUG] spamassassin won't assassinate

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Mon Aug 11 11:41:01 UTC 2003

On 10 Aug 2003, Mike De La Mater mikedela-at-ipns.com |PDX Linux| wrote:

> I'm trying to tune the thing to catch more spam, from the 10 I set it to
> originally, but I'm not having luck. What do I need to restart to change
> it? I've changed the default user setting, the specific settings... It
> still comes out as needing a 10 to rewrite headers.

You may need to start spamd with the "--user-config" option.  Refer to the
spamd man page which says:

-----
-x, --nouser-config, --user-config
    Turn off(on) per-user config files.  All users will just get the
    default configuration.  The default behaviour is for per-user con-
    figuration to be off.
-----

Changing the default has some security implications-- look at:

http://eu.spamassassin.org/dist/spamd/README.spamd

Unless your server is getting pounded into the ground by the normal
invocation of spamassassin (not spamc/spamd), I'd suggest keeping it
simple and just calling spamassassin directly.

> Also, what do you use as a default action for failed messages in
> procmail?

Here's a sample .procmailrc for calling spamassassin directly:

-----
LOGFILE=/home/myuser/procmail.log
VERBOSE=yes
:0fw: spamassassin
| /home/myuser/bin/spamassassin.sh 2>/home/myuser/procmail-SA-errors.log
:0e
{
        EXITCODE=$?
}

:0:
-----

Here is the simple shell wrapper I use (in case I want to change options,
redirections, add PERL5LIB, etc. without messing with .procmailrc)

-----
#!/bin/bash
nice /usr/bin/spamassassin
-----

Sample spamassassin config:

-----
# How many hits before a mail is considered spam.
required_hits   4
score RAZOR_CHECK 5.00
score BIG_FONT 3.00
score HTML_WITH_BGCOLOR 2.00
score WEB_BUGS 3.00
score RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM 3.00
score RCVD_IN_RELAYS_ORDB_ORG 3.00
score CTYPE_JUST_HTML 4.3
score HTML_MESSAGE 1.00
score MIME_HTML_ONLY 2.00
# Good exchange MSGID was -5.7
score MSGID_GOOD_EXCHANGE -1.00
-----

Oh, and if you ever want to try using a mailing list or sign up for a
"free offer", I'd suggest looking into http://www.sneakemail.com for
permanent unique disposable E-mail IDs.

  -- Steve