[PLUG] XP Home will not see running samba

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Mon Aug 11 16:46:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Cliff Wells wrote:

> I missed the original post, but I had the same problem at work where my
> boss' laptop where WinXP Home Edition wouldn't see the Samba shares on
> our Redhat 7.2 server.  I gave up on it but noticed a few weeks ago that
> it was mysteriously working.  I can only guess that some Samba upgrade
> along the way fixed the problem.

Well all my sources tell me WinXP Home was never designed to do _real_
networking and some of the necessary components _are not there_.

Speaking from an ISP support perspective XP Home tends to blow chunks half
the time when doing dial up networking - which it is suppose to support.

I suspect an upgrade while you were gone.  Bosses are like that you know.
Though having something work after they upgrade is different.  :-)

Rod