[PLUG] Getting ps2pdf working again

Mark Martin mmartin at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 11 18:02:02 UTC 2003

Rich,

In my experience, which is admittedly somewhat dated, you have to specify the
drivers and tools that you want to build in various configuration files
before building ghostscript.  Everything that you're looking for should
reside within the GNU source.  When I last read through it, the ghostscript
documentation was rather lengthy and not always entirely clear.  But that is
where the solution lies.  Mixing a development package from one version of
ghostscript with a different version that was locally compiled does not sound
like a good idea, even if the two versions are 7.05 and 7.07.

The Linux distributors usually build ghostscript with the drivers and tools
that they believe will satisfy the needs of most people.  They don't build
packages with all of the drivers or tools, however, which is why I used to
have to compile ghostscript myself.  And, they don't usually use default
builds.  They also somewhat unnaturally divide the binaries that result into
multiple packages, such as ghostscript and ghostscript-devel, and often build
packages so that they install into different locations than those specified
by default in the source code.  These are reasons for caution when
considering mixing packages from different lineages.

Good luck,

Mark

On Monday 11 August 2003 16:01, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I guess that posting on a Sunday means that no one sees the message, so
> I'll try again.
>
>   I upgraded ghostscript from -6.52 to 7.07 (using the GNU versions). When
> I did so, ps2pdf stopped working because it could not find
> libgimpprint.so.1. Searching around google, I found that libgimpprint is
> part of the gimp-print package (reasonable enough, eh?). Haven't needed it
> before but apparently do need it now.
>
>   So, I download the gimp-print tarball and try to configure it. That fails
> because:
>
> configure: error: Cannot find ijs-config; please ensure Ghostscript 6.53 or
> above is installed
>
>   Well, 'rpm -q ghostscript' returns 7.07. So I look for ijs-config and
> see:
>
> [root at salmo /usr/local/gimp-print-4.3.19]# locate ijs-config
> /opt/ghostscript-7.07/ijs/ijs-config.in
>
> So this should all have been built when I built ghostscript.
>
>   I'm stuck. I really need a working ps2pdf (and the other translators),
> but I seem to have hit a dead end. I'd greatly appreciate some help on how
> to get on the right track and finish the gimp-print installation so I can
> get back to work.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Rich
Mark A. Martin, Ph.D.
Applied Mathematics -- Software Development -- Systems Administration
Currently available for employment.
See http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin/resume/ for details.