[PLUG] Getting ps2pdf working again

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Aug 11 18:45:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Mark Martin wrote:

> In my experience, which is admittedly somewhat dated, you have to specify the
> drivers and tools that you want to build in various configuration files
> before building ghostscript.  Everything that you're looking for should
> reside within the GNU source.  When I last read through it, the ghostscript
> documentation was rather lengthy and not always entirely clear.  But that is
> where the solution lies.  Mixing a development package from one version of
> ghostscript with a different version that was locally compiled does not sound
> like a good idea, even if the two versions are 7.05 and 7.07.

Mark,

  This is a very good lesson. Every time prior to this I've used the Red Hat
rpm to upgrade. I'm now trying to get pdf2ps working on a password-protected
file and was given the suggestion to upgrade ghostscript. Not knowing any
better I just ran configure, make, checkinstall.

  Now I'll go back and read everything in the doc/ subdirectory and learn
what to feed into configure, then rebuild from scratch.

> These are reasons for caution when considering mixing packages from
> different lineages.

  I wasn't trying to mix versions, just not paying close enough attention.

Thanks very much for the pointer!

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)