[PLUG] XP Home will not see running samba

Cliff Wells logiplex at qwest.net
Tue Aug 12 09:59:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 16:55, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Cliff Wells wrote:
>
> > I missed the original post, but I had the same problem at work where my
> > boss' laptop where WinXP Home Edition wouldn't see the Samba shares on
> > our Redhat 7.2 server.  I gave up on it but noticed a few weeks ago that
> > it was mysteriously working.  I can only guess that some Samba upgrade
> > along the way fixed the problem.
>
> Well all my sources tell me WinXP Home was never designed to do _real_
> networking and some of the necessary components _are not there_.

They're there, they're just crippled.  Home Edition (HE) will only see
resources on another copy of HE  That was to prevent companies from
using the less expensive HE in place of Pro in the workplace.

> Speaking from an ISP support perspective XP Home tends to blow chunks half
> the time when doing dial up networking - which it is suppose to support.

Only half?  Did a service pack come out that prevents it from blowing
the other half?

> I suspect an upgrade while you were gone.  Bosses are like that you know.
> Though having something work after they upgrade is different.  :-)

;)  True, but in this case the only upgrades he's done are the little MS
updates XP pulls down every so often to plug the gaping security holes
in their product.  I really do believe a Samba update was the fix.

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)