[PLUG] How to umount NFS hung mouts

Mark Martin mmartin at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 13 10:41:02 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 10:05, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Alex Daniloff wrote:
> > Could somebody tell me please how to safely umount locally mounted NFS
> > share when remote NFS server is down? Rebooting local machine is not an
> > option in my case.
>
> Alex,
>
>   Could you comment out the line in /etc/fstab, then source that file? I've
> had a similar situation in the past but I resolved it by rebooting the
> remote machine.
>
> Rich

Sorry about (all of) my previous top-posts, Jeme.

By the way, sourcing /etc/fstab will only lead to coughing and sputtering.
That file doesn't contain the commands for mounting your filesystems, only
the arguments to the mount commands.  And, even if it did, trying to remount
all of the other filesystems over themselves wouldn't affect the offending
filesystem in any way, except if you accidentally obliterated its mount point
in the process.  In any case, I'm not trying to flame you, Rich, but it's not
a good idea.

Mark
Mark A. Martin, Ph.D.
Applied Mathematics -- Software Development -- Systems Administration
Currently available for employment.
See http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin/resume/ for details.