[PLUG] How to umount NFS hung mouts

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Aug 13 13:51:01 UTC 2003

* Jeff Schwaber <freyley at gmx.net> [2003-08-13 13:42]:
> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 13:20, Russ Johnson wrote:
> > * Alex Daniloff <alex at daniloff.com> [2003-08-13 09:44]:
> > > Could somebody tell me please
> > > how to safely umount locally mounted NFS share
> > > when remote NFS server is down?
> > > Rebooting local machine is not an option in my case.
> >
> > This is the reason that I've been shying away from Linux for file
> > serving. If an NFS server (linux) goes down, then you end up with stale
> > mounts.
>
> What's a better solution?

I've been using Solaris where I can. I have lots of automounted file
systems, and sometimes, the file server just has to bounce...

With Linux, I was guaranteed to be chasing stale NFS mounts for the rest
of the day. I switched to Solaris, and things come back, and the mounts
start working again. The process using them may block while the server
is actually rebooting, but as soon as the server comes back, it
continues as if nothing happened.

I've only used Solaris on Sparc hardware for this. I have not tested to
see if Solaris on x86 is as good during a bounce. Let me pencil that
test into my schedule. :)

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #4 (Collect all 19)
"Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful." - Annette Funicello