[PLUG] A moment of silence please

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Thu Aug 14 15:10:03 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:30:23PM -0700, Steve Beattie wrote:

> Call me silly, but having an internet connected machine be woefully out
> of date w.r.t. security updates is not something to brag about (yes,
> there've been security vulnerabilities fixed in the 2.2 kernels since
> 2.2.12 was released).

Point taken.  When the box was directly connected to the internet it
would get hacked into about every nine months starting in 1998.
I learned a lot. :)  Especially about how to clean up after an attacker
without taking the box offline.

After I put it behind a firewall it was never compromised.

--
      Michael Rasmussen  aka  mikeraz
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity

   The fortune cookie says:
brain, v: [as in "to brain"]
	To rebuke bluntly, but not pointedly; to dispel a source
	of error in an opponent.