[PLUG] $25 firewall

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Fri Aug 15 16:36:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 14:47, Zot O'Connor wrote:

> > I've developed a small Linux distro I call COST Linux.  I've done a
> > presentation at ALG a short while ago, but this time, I'm thinking about
> > showing you how to build an embedded Linux firewall with cheap harware
> > which you can get from eBay for about ~$25.  Features includes:
> >
> > - Linux 2.4.x kernel
> > - Netfilter iptables with Shorewall as the firewall configurator.
> > - dhcp client/server
> > - shell access via ssh.
> > - 8MB flash, 16MB memory, no HD, no fan, no noise!
> >
> > enough to run your home firewall/router which you have total control
> > of.  I have
> > collected various hardware and successfully hacked them.  I'll bring a
> > few
> > samples for show and tell.
> >
> > Sorry for the cross posting, but I thought this is something everyone
> > would be
> > interested.  I've done my previous presentation at the IBM site, which I
> > prefer
> > to repeat.  ALG, can we schedule something?  CTLLUG, would you like to
> > come?

Building a 2.4 system in a small footprint, sure I want to know about
this.  It means a Linux system can be put together to fit within a small
ramdisk and then be netbooted for backup/restoration use.  I figure I
can nfs mount extra utilities if I need to.  How did you learn how to
build your own 2.4 system this tight?  The other option is to NFS mount
the root I guess, at this point do I need to use network block devices
to get at my client's local drives?  Knoppix boots off of CD but offers
access to the local drive, I'm wondering what's different between
Knoppix and Linux Terminal Server Project.  I've netbooted Tom's but
it has hacked utilities and lacks 2.4 features needed to back up a
2.4 system.

     --  Michael C. Robinson