[PLUG] The Beginning of the End

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Sat Aug 16 15:02:02 UTC 2003

> Here's the rub: if Sun or Microsoft is using any Unixware code in their
> product, such as USB support, Xeon support, etc. and if a turns out that
> a source audit of SCO's Unixware turns up GPL'd code (as it likely
> would), then that means that SCO is licensing a product they do not
> wholly own. Further, the fact that the code may very well now be found
> in the Sun and Microsoft products as licensed from UnixWare means that
> there is now at it's core GPL'd code in both SUN and Microsoft products.
>
> This would explain why SCO is so eager to challenge the GPL (it doesn't
> want to have to release the source code for Unixware) and it also offers
> at least a plausible explanation why both Sun and Microsoft purchased
> Unixware licenses for millions.
>
> To the greatest logical extent this means that all three product lines'
> source code would have to be released because all three rely on GPL'd
> code to function.

I don't see that.  I only see that the GPL code has
to be treated properly whether it's nested into
something else or not.  It would be a disaster for
the long term future of the GPL license if it were
interpreted so that truly proprietary code has to be
opened because GPL code may be nested into it under
improper licensing practices.  A jury could be
convinced that this opening unfairly takes away a
company's property.  I believe with BSD code that
you can copy it verbatim or modify it and license
that code in a proprietary way having heard this
was what got Microsoft where it is today.  In all
frankness though, why aren't companies like SCO etc.
required to go through third party audits as lack
of these will likely lead to more problems legal
and otherwise?  This seems to be a case of get a
bad name for GPL software at all cost, that being
why Microsoft is involved even though SCO could
wipe itself out wading in the center of this
foolishness.

Maybe the game is violate the GPL to break the will
of the court to uphold it.  It is controversial to
require public auditing of what likely are
proprietary products, but in the absence of
audits will there be legal fights for many open
source programs to prove they were GPL'ed first?

Where in copyright law does it say anything about 1
copy for backup?!?  I though the latter only pertains
to particular copyrights that are written to include
that provision.

What worries me is the damage the way SCO and Microsoft want
to license software can do.  It's well known that Microsoft
products for example are highly resistant to debugging yet
ubiquitous at the same time.  Not only that, resistance to
quality improvements stifles ordinary competition as it is
"not profitable to write quality software since the market
isn't able or willing to demand it."  In closed source
software environments can the consumer pick up consumer
reports and decide to avoid certain software favoring the
better written alternatives or are there zero quality
articles to that affect to read?

     --  Michael