[PLUG] A Simple Question

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Sat Aug 16 23:54:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 11:48:04PM -0700, Cooper Stevenson wrote:
> To be really savvy and avoid the 'nohup.out' file, do this:
>
>   % evolution & 1>/dev/null

This probably won't help with remote programs, but wrapping the above
in ()'s will detach the process from the parent (your shell, for bash
at least). This allows you to close the terminal without loosing the
program--something I do all the time on accident.

eg:

% (evolution & 1>/dev/null)

or just:

% (evolution &)