[PLUG] xdm works but startx fails

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Mon Aug 18 15:31:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 13:00, Randall Hansen wrote:
> Folks ~
>
> My Thinkpad R32 loads X just fine after booting, but if I exit and then
> later type "startx" it fails.  I'm running Debian 'testing' and, while
> not an expert, have little trouble with it.  This has me stumped, though.

How are you "exiting" xdm?  If you are just quitting, but not actually
stopping xdm, then it may be trying to re-spawn.  Try the command:

startx -- :2

If that works (you will have an xserver on the F8 console) then xdm is
trying to respawn, or is not releasing the xserver resources for the F7
console.  It should stop running with the command:

/etc/init.d/xdm stop

Good Luck,

Derek Loree