[PLUG] Stumped by tape driver errors...

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 19 09:25:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Michael C. Robinson wrote:

> I'm trying to find out if my DI30 tape drive functions properly.

  Is this a Travan technology drive? I had all sorts of fits trying to get
various drives and tapes to work consistently. The only person _I_ know who
did so is one of the fellows at what is now The Tolis Group -- the folks who
produce BRU. He told me it took their collective expertise to get it working
reliably.

  A few years ago I bit the bullet and purchased a Tandberg SLR drive. The
first one, the 5 MB model, is arguably the slowest tape drive ever made.
About 3 years ago (I don't remember exactly), I traded that in for an SLR-60
drive (60M compressed) and it has run without error ever since. It's asked
twice to be cleaned and I've done so. Too much cleaning is no good for the
drive. The tapes cost $70 each, but I have only 3 (two weekly, full backups
that I alternate and a daily, incremental backup).

  For a business -- even a small one like mine -- the data are critical.
This system has run flawlessly for several years and I cannot speak too
highly of the tech support and quality of hardware at Tandberg.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/