[PLUG] Using a cell phone as a wireless modem

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Tue Aug 19 18:05:03 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 16:02, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I cannot find the google search phrase that will find information on using
> the Kyocera QCP-6035 PDA/cell phone as a wireless modem with linux. I know
> we have some wireless fans here so I thought I'd ask you for pointers to
> that information.
>
>   Running linux on the notebook, I fire up ppp and the cell phone dials into
> my ISP and connects. It then instantly hangs up. I see nothing useful in the
> logs.
>
>   I know that this should be possible to get working, but I find nothing
> when I enter '+qcp-6035 +linux'. All suggestions welcome.

I just survived several months with a cell phone as my only means of
Internet connection... but it wasn't plugged in to my laptop (rather, it
was plugged in to a friend's windoze box).

Anyway...

Who is your service provider?  These days, it seems, the cell phone
itself acts as a modem.  With that particular (Sprint PCS) setup, you
installed drivers for the (USB cell phone) modem and dialed #777.  No
username, no password... that was all there was to it.

If you're with AT&T, I would guess you are totally out of luck unless
you want to spend a fortune.  They were quoting me prices like $11 for
the first 4MB then only a penny for each additional... kilobyte.

There was another provider... T-Mobile, I want to say... that had a
setup identical to Sprint's.

Others... I don't know.

Anyway, hope this helps at least shed a little bit of light on the
subject.

Rob